Sunday, 16 August 2026

Last Year’s Pop Star




It’s been a while since I last released any music. Nearly a year ago, if I remember correctly. I could check, but that would require some effort on my part and it’s too muggy and humid and I’m tired, so that’s a no-go.

Until the start of August the last music I did release was ‘Lovesongs from the North Vol. 2’. I played some of those songs live, on stage, to a paying audience in September. Earlier this year I played some of them too, as well as giving a debut to a song called ‘The Hush’. You can hear a version of that on the ep I released a couple of weeks ago, entitled ‘Goodnight, Sunshine’. It serves as a taster for the soundtrack to a novel I will be publishing later this year, all being well, entitled ‘Nothing Much’. I’ll talk about that some other time.

Also on the ep is a song entitled ‘Last Year’s Pop Star’. I saw him, a few times actually, over the period of songwriting in which I was engaged. It’s funny how things turn out. I mean, I wouldn’t know first-hand, of course. I’ve not been any year’s pop star.  But no, there he was, tanning himself on a 90s sunbed. What was I doing in the vicinity of a 90s sunbed? With my naturally slow-tanning complexion? You may well ask, but an answer shall not be forthcoming. I was not indulging in the same, however. Earlier in the same week he had been in the 80s disco at Ritzy’s. You may also wonder what I was doing there, but you would not believe me if I told you, so there’s no point. A couple of weeks later I caught him digging up next door’s rosebed in search, he said, of what the squirrels had been burying. When I told him it was just nuts, he thought I said he was just nuts, and spent the next half hour sobbing in their coal shed.

‘Goodnight, Sunshine’ can be downloaded or streamed at https://brokendownrecords.bandcamp.com/album/goodnight-sunshine

And for now, that is all.

Keep left. See you anon x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Year’s Pop Star

It’s been a while since I last released any music. Nearly a year ago, if I remember correctly. I could check, but that would require some ef...